Entrance to the harbour, Torquay, from the Rock Walk ([1828?])

P. H.  Benoist
  • image IMAGEFORDA2205
Devon West Country Studies sB/TOR 7/1841/TOR
Illustration Reference
CD 49 DVD 7
Publication Details
Scope and Content
Anon. The Torquay guide, containing a description of the town, and of the most remarkable objects of interest in the neighbourhood. The excursions and walks, geology, climate, botany, religious and charitable institutions, etc. etc. by several literary gentlemen. Torquay: E. Croydon, 1841. pp. 12 - 15.We must now attempt to give a general description of the town, before we proceed to accompany the visitor in his walks and drives in the neighbourhood, which will be found abundantly worthy of his attention.The harbour is nearly surrounded on three sides by Vaughan Parade, the Strand, and Victoria Parade, which last joins Beacon Terrace, a range of commodious dwelling houses which possess a beautiful view of the bay and of the the [sic] opposite shore. At the farther end of Victoria Parade, the road to Torwood, conducts the stranger between the two principal Inns, past the market, a little above which it is crossed nearly at right angles by another leading on the right hand to the Crescent, Park Street, and Park Place, and by Trinity Church, to Silver Hill, and the villas and sands of Meadfoot; and on the left to the Higher Terrace, which is behind the Strand but considerably elevated above it, and separated from it by a broad road which borders a sloping bank covered with turf and shrubs. Between the Higher and Lower Terraces a road turns off, leading past Montpelier Terrace to St. John's Chapel of Ease, and thence either into the Tor road, or bending to the right, passes a number of beautiful detatched villas, scattered along the lower portion of Warberry Hill, of which we shall have occasion to speak more particularly hereafter,-and joins the Torwood road. Again, setting out from the hotels and passing along the Strand, we find ourselves at the commencement of the road to Tor, but we must pause here to notice a work which will supply what has long been the grand desideratum at Torquay, a level walk and drive close to the sea. […].Returning to the harbour, we find it protected by a handsome stone pier, which was built in 1806, at the sole expence [sic] of the late Sir Lawrence Palk, bart., and forms a delightful promenade, while it affords shelter to vessels of considerable size. The trade with Newfoundland, though it has much declined of late years, is still kept up, and the china clay is shipped here in large quantities. There are also regular coasters employed in the conveyance of goods between this port and London, while many vessels are occupied in the coal trade; in short, the arrivals and departures of these vessels, together with those of the steamers are sufficient to give an interest to the place, without creating the noise and bustle which are so objectionable in shipping towns in general.[Text may be taken from a different source or edition than that listed as the source by Somers Cocks.]
From the Rock Walk