Torquay from the Beacon, Devon (1826)

Rowe, George
  • image IMAGEFORDA2250
RepositoryLibraryShelf
Devon West Country Studies L SC3206
Illustration Reference
SC3206
Location
CD 48 DVD 7
Publication Details
Date
1826
Place
Publisher
Scope and Content
Lysons, Daniel and Samuel. Magna Britannia: being a concise topographical account of the several counties of Great Britain: Vol. VI., Devonshire. pp. 525-6. London: T. Cadell, 1822.In this parish [Tor-Mohun] is Torquay, much resorted to of late years as a bathing place, and from its sheltered situation, recommended as a winter-residence for invalids. The beauties of its surrounding scenery have proved so attractive, that within a few years it has grown from a hamlet of a few scattered houses to a town of considerable population, and a market-house is now building for accommodation of the inhabitants, by Sir L. V. Palk, Bart. Mr. Mallock, in whom the ecclesiastical jurisdiction is vested, has it in intention also to build a chapel. Torquay has some share of the Newfoundland trade; and there is a coasting trade for the importation of coals, culm &.: a fishery is as yet in its infancy. The act of parliament for building the pier passed in 1803, and it was begun in 1804.[Text may be taken from a different source or edition than that listed as the source by Somers Cocks.]
Format
Lithograph
Dimensions
115x190mm
Aspects
From the Beacon
Counties
Subjects
Dates
1826