Infirmary & new church, Torquay (1852)

  • image IMAGEFORDA4330
RepositoryLibraryShelf
Devon West Country Studies S SC3085
Illustration Reference
SC3085
Location
CD 47 DVD 7
Publication Details
Date
1852
Place
Publisher
Scope and Content
White, William. History, gazetteer, and directory of Devonshire. Sheffield: William White, 1850. p. 448.The Torbay Dispensary and Infirmary was established in 1844, but the handsome building, which it now occupies, was not erected till 1850. Here are Clothing Clubs, a Lying-in-Charity, a Shipwrecked Fisherman and Mariners' Benevolent Society; several Friendly Societies and a Lodge of Freemasons. The latter is at the Union Hall. The poor parishioners have the interest of £62, left by Thomas Kingsley and other donors; and the dividends of £468. 8s. 6d. Navy five per cent. stock, purchased with £500 left by George Baker, in 1800.[Text may be taken from a different source or edition than that listed as the source by Somers Cocks.]
Format
Steel l.engr vign
Dimensions
66x90mm
Note
Rock & Co. ; no. 1768. 4 Feb 1852
Aspects
From road
Counties
Subjects
Dates
1852