Part of High Street, Cullompton ([1851?])

  • image IMAGEFORDA1728
RepositoryLibraryShelf
Devon West Country Studies S SC0436B-1
Illustration Reference
SC0436B-1
Location
CD 8 DVD 2
Publication Details
Date
[1851?]
Place
Publisher
Scope and Content
Mitchell, J. C. Eight views of Cullompton and neighbourhood; together with a concise compilation of explanatory particulars and description. Cullompton: I. Frost, 1851.CULLOMPTON is most agreeably situated about twelve miles north east of Exeter, in the midst of scenery singularly luxuriant and beautiful. The town is seated on a river ( anciently called Columba, now modernized to Culm) from whence it derives its name, being the chief place thereon. It is a town of great antiquity, and not long since carried on a very extensive trade in the manufacture of woollens of various textures, broad cloth and serges being the principal. This is still its staple branch, but has somewhat diminished in magnitude, the several woollen mills in the neighbourhood being now connected with one establishment, carried on by MESSRS UPCOTT & SONS, at Shortlands. There are also many paper and corn mills, and there is a bell foundry, established in 1746, and known as the West of England Church Bell Foundry, being the only one in this part of England. The market is held on Saturday, in addition to which, there is a great cattle market on the first Saturday in every month, except May and November, being fair months. The parish contains a population of above four thousand persons, generally temperate, peaceful, and healthy.The town stands on a slight elevation, declining gradually for about a quarter of a mile to the river, and consists principally of two main Streets, Fore Street and High Street. These some years since suffered from the ravages of fires to an alarming extent, but are now re-built to a considerable width, and wear the appearance of great respectability. The accompanying view of part of High Street, which measures nearly 125 feet wide, exhibits on the right hand side, which is slightly raised and curved, first the residence of W. UPCOTT, JUN. ESQ. followed by those of MRS. DAVY and others; in the centre that of C. JUSTICE, ESQ. SURGEON, terminating with that of J. S. UPCOTT, ESQ. On the left is shewn first the Baptist Chapel, and last the Town Hall, lately erected, principally by subscription set on foot by the Magistrates of this Division, their monthly Petty Sessions being now held in that building, part of which is appropriated to the use of the Cullompton Mental Improvement Society, for a library, reading and lecture rooms.[Text may be taken from a different source or edition than that listed as the source by Somers Cocks.]
Format
Steel l.engr vign
Dimensions
61x96mm
Note
Reissue of SC0436B
Counties
Subjects
Dates
1851